- 1190 – Massacre of Jews at Clifford’s Tower, York.
- 1521 – Ferdinand Magellan reaches the Philippines.
- 1621 – Samoset, a Mohegan, visited the settlers of Plymouth Colony and greets them, “Welcome, Englishmen! My name is Samoset.”
- 1802 – The Army Corps of Engineers is established to found and operate the United States Military Academy at West Point.
- 1926 – History of Rocketry: Robert Goddard launches the first liquid-fueled rocket, at Auburn, Massachusetts.
- 1935 – Adolf Hitler orders Germany to rearm herself in violation of the Treaty of Versailles. Conscription is reintroduced to form the Wehrmacht.
- 1940 – First person killed in a German bombing raid on the UK in World War II during a raid on Scapa Flow in the Orkney Islands, James Isbister.
- 1942 – The first V-2 rocket test launch. It exploded at lift-off.
- 1945 – World War II: The Battle of Iwo Jima ended, but small pockets of Japanese resistance persisted.
- 1958 – The Ford Motor Company produces its 50 millionth automobile, the Thunderbird, averaging almost a million cars a year since the company’s founding.
- 1968 – Vietnam War: In the My Lai massacre, between 347 and 500 Vietnamese villagers (men, women, and children) are killed by American troops.
- 1968 – General Motors produces its 100 millionth automobile, the Oldsmobile Toronado.
- 1988 – Iran-Contra Affair: Lieutenant Colonel Oliver North and Vice Admiral John Poindexter are indicted on charges of conspiracy to defraud the United States.
- 1995 – Mississippi formally ratifies the Thirteenth Amendment, becoming the last state to approve the abolition of slavery. The Thirteenth Amendment was officially ratified in 1865.
Let’s get right to today’s Headlines Du Jour:
TODAY IN INCOME INEQUALITY:
The U.S. financial sector drained taxpayers of $12.6 trillion in bailouts and more than 8 million jobs in North America. Why have no top CEOs gone to jail?
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
◄ BONUS VIDEOS DU JOUR ►
IN OUTER SPACE:
Have we found a message from the dawn of time?
‘Major discovery’ set for Monday could give scientists their first glimpse of the birth of the universe
VIDEO DU JOUR: