Hello there, Headliners! Today’s the birthday of Gloria Swanson, who loved the Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1513 – Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León reaches the northern end of The Bahamas on his first voyage to Florida.
- 1613 – The first English child born in Canada at Cuper’s Cove, Newfoundland to Nicholas Guy.
- 1625 – Charles I becomes King of England, Scotland and Ireland as well as claiming the title King of France.
- 1851 – First reported sighting of the Yosemite Valley by Europeans.
- 1886 – Famous Apache warrior, Geronimo, surrenders to the U.S. Army, ending the main phase of the Apache Wars.
- 1915 – Typhoid Mary, the first healthy carrier of disease ever identified in the United States, is put in quarantine, where she would remain for the rest of her life.
- 1958 – Nikita Khrushchev becomes Premier of the Soviet Union.
- 1980 – Silver Thursday: A steep fall in silver prices, resulting from the Hunt Brothers attempting to corner the market in silver, led to panic on commodity and futures exchanges.
- 1990 – The United States begins broadcasting TV Martí, an anti-Castro propaganda network, to Cuba.
- 1998 – The Food and Drug Administration approves Viagra for use as a treatment for male impotence, the first pill to be approved for this condition in the United States.
Today’s Headlines Du Jour is just waiting for you:
THE “O” IN GOP STANDS FOR OBSOLETE:
Republican Senators Slam John Boehner For Blocking Unemployment Benefits Extension
THINGS GO BETTER WITH KOCH:
Koch Power Raised Gasoline Prices
By 40 Cents A Gallon Overnight
How the Supreme Court Justices Reacted
to Today’s Hobby Lobby Arguments
Justices Ginsburg, Sotomayor and
Kagan come out swinging against
Hobby Lobby corporate religion claim
Sen. Barbara Boxer Wonders Why Hobby Lobby Defenders Aren’t Complaining About Viagra
Hobby Lobby’s Shoppers Find New Hobby In Lobbying Against Hobby Lobby
16 Actual Supreme Court Cases with Hilariously Ridiculous Names
DEREGULATION? YOU’RE DRIVING IT:
WSJ Reports GM Expected Drivers With Bad Ignitions To Coast Out Of Traffic
NYT: General Motors Misled Grieving Families About Lethal Ignition Switch
FREE THE WEED:
Confessions Of A Pot-Smoking Police Officer, Firefighter And Youth Pastor
BONUS VIDEO DU JOUR:
MORE DISPATCHES FROM DETROIT, ‘MERKA’S FIRST THROWAWAY CITY:
Downtown Detroit office building vacancy rate drops 7.7 percentage points from 2012
First new apartment project
in Detroit’s business district
since 1992 gets DDA’s OK
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the
Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information
Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in
today’s open thread.