Howdy again, Headliners! Today’s birthday belongs to R&B singer-songwriter The Mighty Hannibal, whose biggest hit, “Hymn No. 5,” was banned from radio due to its Vietnam War subject matter. Here are some other Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1173 – Construction of the campanile of the Cathedral of Pisa (now known as the Leaning Tower of Pisa) begins; it will take two centuries to complete.
- 1483 – Opening of the Sistine Chapel in Rome with the celebration of a Mass.
- 1814 – Indian Wars: the Creek sign the Treaty of Fort Jackson, giving up huge parts of Alabama and Georgia.
- 1854 – Henry David Thoreau publishes Walden.
- 1892 – Thomas Edison receives a patent for a two-way telegraph.
- 1930 – Betty Boop makes her cartoon debut in Dizzy Dishes.
- 1936 – Summer Olympic Games: Games of the XI Olympiad – Jesse Owens wins his fourth gold medal at the games becoming the first American to win four medals in one Olympiad.
- 1942 – Indian leader Mahatma Gandhi is arrested in Bombay by British forces, launching the Quit India Movement.
- 1944 – The United States Forest Service and the Wartime Advertising Council release posters featuring Smokey Bear for the first time.
- 1945 – World War II: Nagasaki is devastated when an atomic bomb, Fat Man, is dropped by the United States B-29 Bockscar. 39,000 people are killed outright.
- 1969 – Followers led by Charles Manson murder pregnant actress Sharon Tate (wife of Roman Polanski), coffee heiress Abigail Folger, Polish actor Wojciech Frykowski, men’s hairstylist Jay Sebring and recent high-school graduate Steven Parent.
- 1974 – As a direct result of the Watergate scandal, Richard Nixon becomes the first President of the United States to resign from office. His Vice President, Gerald Ford, becomes president.
Without any further delay, here is today’s Headlines Du Jour:
IN LGBT NEWS:
TODAY IN INCOME INEQUALITY:
IN ROCK AND ROLL NEWS:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
|This is NOT Johnny Dollar,
just an incredible likeness
PAID INTERNET TROLLS:
FREE THE WEED!!!
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
SEAN HANNITY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
|The Foxy Friends
at Fox & Friends