Hello there, Headliners! Today’s birthday belongs to Spike Jones. Included among the other Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1542 – Princess Mary Stuart becomes Mary, Queen of Scots.
- 1782 – The Montgolfier brothers‘ first balloon lifts off on its first test flight.
- 1819 – Alabama becomes the 22nd U.S. state.
- 1900 – Quantum mechanics: Max Planck presents a theoretical derivation of his black-body radiation law.
- 1903 – The Wright brothers make their first attempt to fly with the Wright Flyer at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.
- 1911 – Roald Amundsen ’s team, comprising himself, Olav Bjaaland, Helmer Hanssen, Sverre Hassel, and Oscar Wisting, becomes the first to reach the South Pole.
- 1946 – The United Nations General Assembly votes to establish its headquarters in New York, New York.
- 1962 – NASA‘s Mariner 2 becomes the first spacecraft to fly by Venus.
- 1964 – American Civil Rights Movement: Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States – The Supreme Court of the United States rules that Congress can use the Constitution’s Commerce Clause to fight discrimination.
- 1972 – Apollo program: Eugene Cernan is the last person to walk on the moon, after he and Harrison Schmitt complete the third and final extra-vehicular activity (EVA) of the Apollo 17 mission.
- 2008 – Muntadhar al-Zaidi throws his shoes at then-U.S. President George W. Bush during a press conference in Baghdad, Iraq.
- 2012 – Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting: Twenty-eight people, including the gunman, are killed in Sandy Hook, Connecticut.
Here is today’s Headlines Du Jour:
THE TORTURE REPORT:
|New York City; December 12, 2014|