G’day Headliners!!! Today’s the birthday of painters Francisco Goya (1746) and Vincent van Gogh (1853). While their styles were quite different, they totally agreed on the Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1822 – The Florida Territory is created in the United States.
- 1842 – Ether anesthesia is used for the first time, in an operation by the American surgeon Dr. Crawford Long.
- 1855 – Origins of the American Civil War: Bleeding Kansas – “Border Ruffians” from Missouri invade Kansas and force election of a pro-slavery legislature.
- 1856 – The Treaty of Paris is signed, ending the Crimean War.
- 1867 – Alaska is purchased from Russia for $7.2 million, about 2-cent/acre ($4.19/km²), by United States Secretary of State William H. Seward.
- 1870 – Texas is readmitted to the Union following Reconstruction.
- 1909 – The Queensboro Bridge opens, linking Manhattan and Queens.
- 1954 – The Yonge Street subway line opens in Toronto. It is the first subway in Canada.
- 1976 – The first Land Day protests are held in Israel/Palestine.
- 1981 – President Ronald Reagan is shot in the chest outside a Washington, D.C., hotel by John Hinckley, Jr. Another two people are wounded at the same time.
Now let’s get to today’s Headlines Du Jour:
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST RACIAL SOCIETY:
TODAY’S UFO IN TEXAS:
1957’S UFO IN TEXAS:
MORE EXCITING EPISODES OF COPS GONE WILD:
THINGS GO BETTER WITH KOCHS:
What’s Really Behind the Koch Attacks on Democrats
Hint: it’s not about healthcare.
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
VIDEO DU JOUR: