With only 292 days until New Year’s Eve, today is also the birthday of Sci-Fi writer and charlatan L. Ron Hubbard, born on this day in 1911. It was his dying wish that people read the Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 624 – Battle of Badr: a key battle between Muhammad‘s army – the new followers of Islam and the Quraish of Mecca. The Muslims won this battle, known as the turning point of Islam, which took place in the Hejaz region of western Arabia.
- 1781 – William Herschel discovers Uranus.
- 1862 – American Civil War: The U.S. federal government forbids all Union army officers to return fugitive slaves, thus effectively annulling the Fugitive Slave Act of 1850 and setting the stage for the Emancipation Proclamation.
- 1865 – American Civil War: The Confederate States of America agree to the use of African American troops.
- 1930 – The news of the discovery of Pluto is telegraphed to the Harvard College Observatory.
- 1943 – The Holocaust: German forces liquidate the Jewish ghetto in Kraków.
- 1963 – Police in Phoenix, Arizona arrest Ernesto Miranda and charge him with kidnap and rape. His conviction is ultimately set aside by the United States Supreme Court in Miranda v. Arizona
- 1964 – American Kitty Genovese is murdered, reportedly in view of neighbors who did nothing to help her, prompting research into the bystander effect.
- 1991 – The United States Department of Justice announces that Exxon has agreed to pay $1 billion for the clean-up of the Exxon Valdez oil spill in Alaska.
- 2013 – Pope Francis is elected in the papal conclave to succeed Pope Benedict XVI.
Let’s get right to today’s Headlines Du Jour:
WHAT IF MEN WERE RAPE VICTIMS?
THE “O” IN GOP STANDS FOR “OUT OF IDEAS”
GET THE FRACK OUT OF HERE!!!
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
◄ A duped writer defends the cyber-bullies ►
Left-wing trolls launch vile attack on Iraq war veteran and triple amputee
◄ The Not Now Silly cyber-bullies ►
The Mark Koldys-Johnny Dollar Cyber-Bully Comments of the Day
TODAY IN MUSIC:
VIDEO DU JOUR: