Hello, Headliners! Today we commemorate soldiers past and present who fought in wars both large and small. It’s also the birthday of George S. Patton, born on this day in 1885. Here are some other Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1215 – The Fourth Lateran Council meets, defining the doctrine of transubstantiation, the process by which bread and wine are, by that doctrine, said to transform into the body and blood of Christ.
- 1620 – The Mayflower Compact is signed in what is now Provincetown Harbor near Cape Cod.
- 1634 – Following pressure from Anglican bishop John Atherton, the Irish House of Commons passes An Act for the Punishment for the Vice of Buggery.
- 1813 – War of 1812: Battle of Crysler’s Farm – British and Canadian forces defeat a larger American force, causing the Americans to abandon their Saint Lawrence campaign.
- 1831 – In Jerusalem, Virginia, Nat Turner is hanged after inciting a violent slave uprising.
- 1864 – American Civil War: Sherman’s March to the Sea – Union General William Tecumseh Sherman begins burning Atlanta, Georgia to the ground in preparation for his march south.
- 1887 – Anarchist Haymarket Martyrs August Spies, Albert Parsons, Adolph Fischer and George Engel are executed.
- 1911 – Many cities in the Midwestern United States break their record highs and lows on the same day as a strong cold front rolls through.
- 1921 – The Tomb of the Unknowns is dedicated by US President Warren G. Harding at Arlington National Cemetery.
- 1926 – The United States Numbered Highway System, including U.S. Route 66, is established.
- 1940 – Armistice Day Blizzard: An unexpected blizzard kills 144 in the U.S. Midwest.
- 1966 – NASA launches Gemini 12.
- 1975 – Independence of Angola.
- 1992 – The General Synod of the Church of England votes to allow women to become priests.
- 1993 – A sculpture honoring women who served in the Vietnam War is dedicated at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C.
- 2004 – The Palestine Liberation Organization confirms the death of Yasser Arafat from unidentified causes. Mahmoud Abbas is elected chairman of the PLO minutes later.
Here is today’s Headlines Du Jour: