Howdy Headliners. Today’s the birthday of Charles Boycott, whose ostracism by an Irish village gave us the word “boycott,” but Not Now Silly refuses to celebrate that. Among the Headlines Du Jour from yesteryear include:
- 1881 – Andrew Watson makes his Scotland debut as the world’s first black international football player and captain.
- 1894 – Coca-Cola is bottled and sold for the first time in Vicksburg, Mississippi, by local soda fountain operator Joseph Biedenharn.
- 1912 – The Girl Guides (later renamed the Girl Scouts of the USA) are founded in the United States.
- 1918 – Moscow becomes the capital of Russia again after Saint Petersburg held this status for 215 years.
- 1928 – In California, the St. Francis Dam fails; the resulting floods kill over 600 people.
- 1930 – Mahatma Gandhi leads a 200-mile march, known as the Salt March, to the sea in defiance of British opposition, to protest the British monopoly on salt
- 1933 – Great Depression: Franklin D. Roosevelt addresses the nation for the first time as President of the United States. This is also the first of his “fireside chats“.
- 1947 – The Truman Doctrine is proclaimed to help stem the spread of Communism.
- 1993 – The Blizzard of 1993
– Snow begins to fall across the eastern portion of the US with
tornadoes, thunder snow storms, high winds and record low temperatures.
The storm lasts for 30 hours.
- 1993 – Janet Reno was sworn in as the United States‘ first female attorney general.
- 1994 – The Church of England ordains its first female priests.
- 2011 – A reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant melts and explodes and releases radioactivity into the atmosphere a day after Japan’s earthquake.
Let’s get right to today’s Headlines Du Jour:
TODAY IN RELIGION:
MORE DISPATCHES FROM DETROIT, ‘MERKA’S FIRST THROWAWAY CITY:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Was our galaxy formed by
a ‘Council of Giants’?
Giant galaxies arranged in a ring around the Milky Way might have shaped its very formation, reveals a new study.
TODAY IN ROCK’N’ROLL:
VIDEO DU JOUR: