|It was 50 years ago today: The Beatles had the
Top Five singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart
With Headlines Du Jour on hiatus yesterday, today’s Headlines Du Jour is bigger than usual. We’ll get to that, right after the Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1581 – Francis Drake is knighted for completing a circumnavigation of the world.
- 1768 – In London, England, Great Britain, Philip Astley stages the first modern circus.
- 1818 – The United States Congress adopts the flag of the United States with 13 red and white stripes and one star for each state (then 20).
- 1841 – William Henry Harrison dies of pneumonia becoming the first President of the United States to die in office and with the shortest term served.
- 1850 – Los Angeles, California, is incorporated as a city.
- 1859 – Bryant’s Minstrels debut “Dixie” in New York City in the finale of a blackface minstrel show.
- 1949 – Twelve nations sign the North Atlantic Treaty creating the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
- 1958 – The CND peace symbol is displayed in public for the first time in London.
- 1964 – The Beatles occupy the top five positions on the Billboard Hot 100 pop chart.
- 1967 – Martin Luther King, Jr. delivers his “Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence” speech in New York City‘s Riverside Church.
- 1968 – Martin Luther King, Jr. is assassinated by James Earl Ray at a motel in Memphis, Tennessee. Robert F. Kennedy’s speech on the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
- 1969 – Dr. Denton Cooley implants the first temporary artificial heart.
- 1973 – The World Trade Center in New York is officially dedicated.
- 1975 – Microsoft is founded as a partnership between Bill Gates and Paul Allen in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Without any further delay, here is today’s Headlines Du Jour:
More Than Corruption Threatens the Integrity of Our Democracy
The sad tale of how the Supreme
Court’s approach to money in politics
helped create the Inequality Era.
THE WAL*MART EFFECT:
Hungry for Savings
Walmart donates billions to anti-hunger initiatives.
Some of those efforts benefit its own employees.
The Sheldon Adelson Suck-Up Fest
Republican contenders prostrated themselves for the casino mogul’s favor—a vivid illustration of who owns the GOP.
Pot activist alleges human rights
violated by AHS over vapourizer use
Lisa Kirkman fighting for right to use medical
marijuana vapour in hospitals and other public places
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST RACIAL SOCIETY:
The death of a great American city: why does anyone still live in Detroit?
The city’s social contract was shredded
long ago and everyone knows time is running
out – but some Detroiters have hope
In arena deal, Detroit
worshipping Mike Ilitch
Why have we decided that a guy who became
a billionaire selling us cheap pizza is God?
A VIDEO DISPATCH FROM DETROIT:
LEGGY MEGGY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN OUTER SPACE:
Honey, I Want to Move to Mars
My wife is a semifinalist to board a one-way mission to
the Red Planet. I’m proud, happy, and thrilled for her.
Now, do you want to know how I really feel about it?
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Compare and Contrast – London: 1927 & 2013