- 1663 – The Province of Carolina is granted by charter to eight Lords Proprietor in reward for their assistance in restoring Charles II of England to the throne.
- 1707 – The Acts of Union 1707 is signed, officially uniting the Kingdoms of England and Scotland to create the Kingdom of Great Britain.
- 1765 – American Revolution: The Kingdom of Great Britain passes the Quartering Act that requires the Thirteen Colonies to house British troops.
- 1832 – In Hiram, Ohio a group of men beat, tar and feather Mormon leader Joseph Smith.
- 1837 – Canada gives African Canadian men the right to vote.
- 1882 – Robert Koch announces the discovery of mycobacterium tuberculosis, the bacterium responsible for tuberculosis.
- 1896 – A. S. Popov makes the first radio signal transmission in history.
- 1958 – Rock’N’Roll teen idol Elvis Presley is drafted in the U.S. Army.
- 1965 – NASA spacecraft Ranger 9,
equipped to convert its signals into a form suitable for showing on
domestic television, brings images of the Moon into ordinary homes
before crash landing.
- 1989 – Exxon Valdez oil spill: In Prince William Sound in Alaska, the Exxon Valdez spills 240,000 barrels (38,000 m3) of petroleum after running aground.
- 1993 – Discovery of Comet Shoemaker–Levy 9.
No more magic tricks. Here’s today’s Headlines Du Jour:
THE “P” IN GOP STANDS FOR PERVERT:
◄ ◄ ABLOW JOB ► ►
Pull the plug on naked Twitter teens
◄ ◄ From the Not Now Sill Archives ►►
The Day I Shook Hands With Glenn Beck
IN INNER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR: