- 1250 – Seventh Crusade: Crusaders engage Ayyubid forces in the Battle of Al Mansurah.
- 1587 – Mary, Queen of Scots, is executed on suspicion of having been involved in the Babington Plot to murder her cousin, Queen Elizabeth I.
- 1865 – In the United States, Delaware voters reject the Thirteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, and vote to continue the practice of slavery. (Delaware finally ratifies the amendment on February 12, 1901.)
- 1879 – Sandford Fleming first proposes adoption of Universal Standard Time at a meeting of the Royal Canadian Institute.
- 1910 – The Boy Scouts of America is incorporated by William D. Boyce.
- 1915 – D. W. Griffith‘s controversial film The Birth of a Nation premieres in Los Angeles.
- 1924 – Capital punishment: The first state execution in the United States by gas chamber takes place in Nevada.
- 1946 – The first portion of the Revised Standard Version of the Bible, the first serious challenge to the popularity of the Authorized King James Version, is published.
- 1952 – Elizabeth II is proclaimed Queen of the United Kingdom.
- 1960 – Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom issues an Order-in-Council, stating that she and her family would be known as the House of Windsor, and that her descendants will take the name “Mountbatten-Windsor“.
- 1960 – The first eight brass star plaques are installed in the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- 1963 – Travel, financial and commercial transactions by United States citizens to Cuba are made illegal by the John F. Kennedy administration.
- 1974 – After 84 days in space, the crew of Skylab 4, the last crew to visit American space station Skylab, returns to Earth.
- 1996 – The U.S. Congress passes the Communications Decency Act.
Here is today’s Headlines Du Jour:
IN LGBT NEWS:
IN INCOME INEQUALITY:
ARE WE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY?
MORE OF THAT REPUBLICAN OUTREACH:
MORE EXCITING EPISODES OF COPS GONE WILD:
GIMME THAT OLD TIME RELIGION:
ANOTHER SHOOTOUT AT THE OK CORRAL:
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Is Bill O’Reilly Too Chicken To
Face Vermont High School Students?