Hello Headliners!!! You need not be a rocket scientist to know that today’s the birthday of ‘Merka’s favourite Nazi, Wernher von Braun. While Werner was directly responsible for many Headlines Du Jour from yesteryear, he’s indirectly responsible for what happened on this date in 1965 and 1983:
- 1775 – American Revolutionary War: Patrick Henry delivers his speech – “Give me Liberty, or give me Death!” – at St. John’s Episcopal Church, Richmond, Virginia.
- 1806 – After traveling through the Louisiana Purchase and reaching the Pacific Ocean, explorers Lewis and Clark and their “Corps of Discovery” begin their arduous journey home.
- 1857 – Elisha Otis‘s first elevator is installed at 488 Broadway New York City.
- 1909 – Theodore Roosevelt leaves New York for a post-presidency safari in Africa. The trip is sponsored by the Smithsonian Institution and National Geographic Society.
- 1919 – In Milan, Italy, Benito Mussolini founds his Fascist political movement.
- 1933 – The Reichstag passes the Enabling Act of 1933, making Adolf Hitler dictator of Germany.
- 1956 – Pakistan becomes the first Islamic republic in the world. (Republic Day in Pakistan)
- 1965 – NASA launches Gemini 3, the United States‘ first two-man space flight (crew: Gus Grissom and John Young).
- 1983 – Strategic Defense Initiative: President Ronald Reagan makes his initial proposal to develop technology to intercept enemy missiles.
- 1989 – Stanley Pons and Martin Fleischmann announce their discovery of cold fusion at the University of Utah.
Without any further ado, whatever that is, let’s get to today’s Headlines Du Jour:
IN LGBT NEWS:
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
LAPD Officer Raped Woman and then Dept.
Tried to Bury Case, Threatened her with Jail
A new lawsuit alleges that the Los Angeles police department
stonewalled a case of rape by one of its own.
STREAMING OR STEAMING?
ANOTHER DISPATCH FROM DETROIT, ‘MERKA’S FIRST THROWAWAY CITY:
IN OUTER SPACE:
Just After It All Began, the Universe Sent
Us a Text Message. We Just Decoded It.
Phil Plait explains the universe’s sudden and dramatic
inflation…tiny fractions of a second after the Big Bang.
VIDEO DU JOUR: