Howdy, Headliners. Canadians will gather today in Mel Lastman Square to wax nostalgic on the 81st birthday of former Toronto Mayor and Bad Boy Mel Lastman, who never smoked crack cocaine in a drunken stupour. Mayor Mel is addicted to the Headlines Du Jour from yesteryear:
- 632 – The Last Sermon (Khutbah, Khutbatul Wada’) of Prophet Muhammad.
- 1796 – Napoléon Bonaparte marries his first wife, Joséphine de Beauharnais.
- 1841 – The U.S. Supreme Court rules in the United States v. The Amistad case that captive Africans who had seized control of the ship carrying them had been taken into slavery illegally.
- 1842 – The first documented discovery of gold in California occurs at Rancho San Francisco, six years before the California Gold Rush.
- 1945 – The Bombing of Tokyo by the United States Army Air Forces begin, one of the most destructive bombing raids in history.
- 1954 – McCarthyism: CBS television broadcasts the See It Now episode, “A Report on Senator Joseph McCarthy“, produced by Fred Friendly.
- 1959 – The Barbie doll makes its debut at the American International Toy Fair in New York.
- 1961 – Sputnik 9 successfully launches, carrying a human dummy nicknamed Ivan Ivanovich, and demonstrating that Soviet Union was ready to begin human spaceflight.
- 1997 – Comet Hale–Bopp: Observers in China, Mongolia and eastern Siberia are treated to a rare double feature as an eclipse permits Hale-Bopp to be seen during the day.
- 2011 – Space Shuttle Discovery makes its final landing after 39 flights.
And now: Today’s Headlines Du Jour:
GET THE FRACK OUT OF HERE:
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
WHO’S WATCHING THE WATCHERS?
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
O’Reilly: The Only Place
America Is Not In Decline
Is The Sport Of Luge
According To Bill, 50 Percent Of Americans Don’t Care About Nation’s Decline Because “They Want The Nanny State”
Climate buffoons’ real
motives: 5 reasons they
still spout debunked garbage
From greed to idiocy, here’s the true agenda of deniers who still claim climate change isn’t happening
TODAY IN RELIGION:
FREE THE WEED!!!
A WOMAN SCORNED:
Woman Posted Explicit
Material Inside Walmart
Cops: Suspect targeted employee over year-long affair with husband
VIDEO DU JOUR: