Howdy, Headliners! Today’s birthday belongs to Charles Hardin Holley, better known as Buddy Holly, a Founding Father of Rock and Roll who was there when the music died. He lived thru’ quite a few Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1695 – Henry Every perpetrates one of the most profitable pirate raids in history with the capture of the Grand Mughal ship Ganj-i-Sawai. In response, Emperor Aurangzeb threatens to end all English trading in India.
- 1857 – Mountain Meadows massacre: Mormon settlers slaughter most members of peaceful, emigrant wagon train.
- 1906 – Alberto Santos-Dumont flies his 14-bis aircraft at Bagatelle, France for the first time successfully.
- 1907 – Cunard Line‘s RMS Lusitania sets sail on her maiden voyage from Liverpool, England, to New York City.
- 1916 – US federal employees win the right to Workers’ compensation by Federal Employers Liability Act (39 Stat. 742; 5 U.S.C. 751)
- 1921 – In Atlantic City, New Jersey, the first Miss America Pageant, a two-day event, is held.
- 1927 – The first fully electronic television system is achieved by Philo Farnsworth.
- 1936 – The last surviving member of the thylacine species, Benjamin, dies alone in its cage at the Hobart Zoo in Tasmania.
- 1953 – Nikita Khrushchev is elected first secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union.
- 1970 – Bill Shoemaker sets record for most lifetime wins as a jockey (passing Johnny Longden).
- 1979 – The Chrysler Corporation asks the United States government for US$1.5 billion to avoid bankruptcy.
- 1986 – Desmond Tutu becomes the first black man to lead the Anglican Church in South Africa.
- 2008 – The US Government takes control of the two largest mortgage financing companies in the US, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.
- 2012 – Canada officially cuts diplomatic ties with Iran by closing its embassy in Tehran and ordered the expulsion of Iranian diplomats from Ottawa, over support for Syria, nuclear plans and alleged rights abuses.
Here are today’s Headlines Du Jour:
IN LGBT NEWS:
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
TODAY IN CLIMATE CHANGE:
MORE OF THAT REPUBLICAN OUTREACH:
FREE THE WEED!!!
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
|Because they’re too busy being racist, sexist, and homophobic.|
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
the Fox News’ anchor’s “history” of Jesus’s death
Doesn’t Exist Because Asian-Americans Are Successful
shame African Americans is shameful and historically illiterate.