Hi, Headliners! Today’s birthday boy: W. C. Fields, who climbed to the top of Broadway, movies, and radio after starting as a lowly, mute vaudeville juggler. Here are some other Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1834 – US President Andrew Jackson orders first use of federal soldiers to suppress a labor dispute.
- 1845 – “The Raven” is published in The Evening Mirror in New York, the first publication with the name of the author, Edgar Allan Poe
- 1861 – Kansas is admitted as the 34th U.S. state.
- 1863 – Bear River Massacre.
- 1886 – Karl Benz patents the first successful gasoline-driven automobile.
- 1891 – Liliuokalani is proclaimed the last monarch and only queen regnant of the Kingdom of Hawaii.
- 1907 – Charles Curtis of Kansas becomes the first Native American U.S. Senator.
- 1936 – The first inductees into the Baseball Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1963 – The first inductees into the Pro Football Hall of Fame are announced.
- 1967 – The “ultimate high” of the hippie era, the Mantra-Rock Dance, takes place in San Francisco and features Janis Joplin, Grateful Dead, and Allen Ginsberg.
- 1998 – In Birmingham, Alabama, a bomb explodes at an abortion clinic, killing one and severely wounding another. Serial bomber Eric Robert Rudolph is suspected as the culprit.
- 2002 – In his State of the Union address, President George W. Bush describes “regimes that sponsor terror” as an Axis of evil, in which he includes Iraq, Iran and North Korea.
- 2009 – Governor of Illinois Rod Blagojevich is removed from office
following his conviction of several corruption charges, including the
alleged solicitation of personal benefit in exchange for an appointment
to the United States Senate as a replacement for then-U.S. president-elect Barack Obama.
- 2015 – Malaysia has officially declared the disappearance of missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 an accident and its passengers and crew presumed dead.
Here is today’s Headlines Du Jour:
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
White Millennials Are Not So Different From the
Racist Generations That Came Before Them