- 1536 – Anne Boleyn,
Queen of England, stands trial in London on charges of treason,
adultery and incest. She is condemned to death by a specially-selected jury.
- 1618 – Johannes Kepler confirms his previously rejected discovery of the third law of planetary motion (he first discovered it on March 8 but soon rejected the idea after some initial calculations were made).
- 1776 – American Revolution: the Virginia Convention instructs its Continental Congress delegation to propose a resolution of independence from Great Britain, paving the way for the United States Declaration of Independence.
- 1869 – Women’s suffrage: in New York, Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton form the National Woman Suffrage Association.
- 1905 – Las Vegas, is founded when 110 acres (0.45 km2), in what later would become downtown, are auctioned off.
- 1911 – In Standard Oil Company of New Jersey v. United States, the United States Supreme Court declares Standard Oil to be an “unreasonable” monopoly under the Sherman Antitrust Act and orders the company to be broken up.
- 1928 – Walt Disney character Mickey Mouse premieres in his first cartoon, Plane Crazy
- 1940 – McDonald’s opens its first restaurant in San Bernardino, California.
- 1958 – The Soviet Union launches Sputnik 3.
- 1960 – The Soviet Union launches Sputnik 4.
- 1963 – Project Mercury: The launch of the final Mercury mission, Mercury-Atlas 9 with astronaut L. Gordon Cooper on board. He becomes the first American to spend more than a day in space.
- 1969 – People’s Park: California Governor Ronald Reagan
has an impromptu student park owned by University of California at
Berkeley fenced off from student anti-war protestors, sparking a riot
called Bloody Thursday.
- 1972 – In Laurel, Maryland, Arthur Bremer shoots and paralyzes Alabama Governor George Wallace while he is campaigning to become President.
- 2008 – California becomes the second U.S. state after Massachusetts in 2004 to legalize same-sex marriage after the state’s own Supreme Court rules a previous ban unconstitutional.
Let’s get right to today’s Headlines Du Jour:
IN LGBT NEWS:
GOP STANDS FOR “GOT OUR PRIORITIES”
CIRCLE THE DATE:
TEABAGGED ENOUGH ALREADY?
TODAY IN RELIGION:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
FREE THE WEED!!!
A DISPATCH FROM DETROIT, ‘MERKA’S FIRST THROWAWAY CITY:
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Fox’s O’Reilly On Racism: “If Fox News Didn’t Exist, The Traditional/Conservative Voice Would Be Buried In The Media”