- 1781 – Los Angeles is founded as El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula (The Village of Our Lady, the Queen of the Angels of Porziuncola) by 44 Spanish settlers.
- 1812 – War of 1812: The Siege of Fort Harrison begins when the fort is set on fire.
- 1882 – Thomas Edison flips the switch to the first commercial electrical power plant in history, lighting one square mile of lower Manhattan. This is considered by many as the day that began the electrical age.
- 1886 – American Indian Wars: after almost 30 years of fighting, Apache leader Geronimo, with his remaining warriors, surrenders to General Nelson Miles in Arizona.
- 1888 – George Eastman registers the trademark Kodak and receives a patent for his camera that uses roll film.
- 1948 – Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands abdicates for health reasons.
- 1949 – The Peekskill Riots erupt after a Paul Robeson concert in Peekskill, New York.
- 1951 – The first live transcontinental television broadcast takes place in San Francisco, from the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference.
- 1957 – American Civil Rights Movement: Little Rock Crisis – Orval Faubus, governor of Arkansas, calls out the National Guard to prevent African American students from enrolling in Central High School.
- 1957 – The Ford Motor Company introduces the Edsel.
- 1970 – Salvador Allende is elected President of Chile.
- 1972 – Mark Spitz becomes the first competitor to win seven medals at a single Olympic Games.
- 1998 – Google is founded by Larry Page and Sergey Brin, two students at Stanford University.
- 2010 – Canterbury earthquake:
a 7.1 magnitude earthquake strikes the South Island of New Zealand at
4:35 am causing widespread damage and several power outages.
Let’s take a gander at today’s Headlines Du Jour:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
FREE THE WEED!!!
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
GOP STANDS FOR GOOFBALLS ON PARADE:
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
FOX “NEWS” VIEWERS IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
SEAN HANNITY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
JAMES ROSEN IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
From the vast archives of the Not Now Silly Newsroom: