Howdy Headliners. Today’s birthday is Rockpile’s Dave Edmunds, born on this day in 1944. Among the Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear are the twin tragedies of the RMS Titanic (1912) and the Boston Marathon Bombing (2013). Let’s review some of those other events:
- 1755 – Samuel Johnson‘s A Dictionary of the English Language is published in London.
- 1783 – Preliminary articles of peace ending the American Revolutionary War (or American War of Independence) are ratified.
- 1861 – President Abraham Lincoln calls for 75,000 Volunteers to quell the insurrection that soon became the American Civil War
- 1865 – Abraham Lincoln dies after being shot the previous evening by actor John Wilkes Booth.
- 1892 – The General Electric Company is formed.
- 1896 – Closing ceremony of the Games of the I Olympiad in Athens, Greece.
- 1920 – Two security guards are murdered during a robbery in South Braintree, Massachusetts. Anarchists Sacco and Vanzetti would be convicted of and executed for the crime, amid much controversy.
- 1923 – Insulin becomes generally available for use by people with diabetes.
- 1924 – Rand McNally publishes its first road atlas.
- 1945 – The Bergen-Belsen concentration camp is liberated.
- 1947 – Jackie Robinson debuts for the Brooklyn Dodgers, breaking baseball’s color line.
- 1955 – McDonald’s restaurant dates its founding to the opening of a franchised restaurant by Ray Kroc, in Des Plaines, Illinois
- 1960 – At Shaw University in Raleigh, North Carolina, Ella Baker leads a conference that results in the creation of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, one of the principal organizations of the African-American Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s.
- 1965 – The first Ford Mustang rolls off the show room floor, two days before it is set to go on sale nationwide.
Let’s get right to today’s Headlines Du Jour:
TODAY IN RELIGION:
JEWS IN SPACE:
BONUS VIDEO DU JOUR:
THE REICH WING PUSHES THE BIG LIES:
COPS GONE WILD:
BEST HEADLINE DU JOUR:
DR. DONG. CALLING DR. DONG!
Spurious Cattle Conspiracy Dodges
Facts But Still Lands On Fox News
Debunked Theory Accused Sen. Harry Reid Of
Collaborating With Chinese Firm In Corrupt “Land Grab”