Heya, Headliners! The first Headlines Du Jour of September celebrates the birthday of Billy Preston, the only musician to ever receive credit on Beatles’ records. He lived through his own Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 31 BC – Final War of the Roman Republic: Battle of Actium – off the western coast of Greece, forces of Octavian defeat troops under Mark Antony and Cleopatra.
- 1666 – The Great Fire of London breaks out and burns for three days, destroying 10,000 buildings including St Paul’s Cathedral.
- 1789 – The United States Department of the Treasury is founded.
- 1833 – Oberlin College in Oberlin, Ohio is founded by John Jay Shipherd and Philo P. Stewart.
- 1864 – American Civil War: Union forces enter Atlanta, Georgia, a day after the Confederate defenders flee the city, ending the Atlanta Campaign.
- 1885 – Rock Springs massacre: in Rock Springs, Wyoming, 150 White miners, who are struggling to unionize so they could strike for better wages and work conditions, attack their Chinese fellow workers killing 28, wounding 15 and forcing several hundred more out of town.
- 1901 – Vice President of the United States Theodore Roosevelt utters the famous phrase, “Speak softly and carry a big stick” at the Minnesota State Fair.
- 1945 – World War II: Combat ends in the Pacific Theater: the Instrument of Surrender of Japan is signed by Japanese Foreign Minister Mamoru Shigemitsu and accepted aboard the battleship USS Missouri in Tokyo Bay.
- 1945 – Vietnam declares its independence, forming the Democratic Republic of Vietnam.
- 1963 – CBS Evening News becomes U.S. network television‘s first half-hour weeknight news broadcast, when the show is lengthened from 15 to 30 minutes.
- 1970 – NASA announces the cancellation of two Apollo missions to the Moon, Apollo 15 (the designation is re-used by a later mission), and Apollo 19.
- 2013 – The new eastern span of the San Francisco–Oakland Bay Bridge opened to traffic, being the widest bridge in the world.
And now today’s Headlines Du Jour:
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
MORE EXCITING EPISODES OF COPS GONE WILD:
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF GOP GONE WILD:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
FREE THE WEED!!!
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
NO LONGER PREGGY LEGGY MEGGY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
LAURA INGRAHAM IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Describe The Islamic State … That’s Reserved For You”