Good morning, Headliners. How will you be celebrating the birthday of Nicolaus Copernicus today? Among the Headlines Du Jour from yesterday include:
• 356 – Emperor Constantius II issues a decree closing all pagan temples in the Roman Empire.
• 1674 – England and the Netherlands sign the Treaty of Westminster, ending the Third Anglo-Dutch War. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England, and it is renamed New York.
• 1846 – In Austin, Texas the newly formed Texas state government is officially installed. The Republic of Texas government officially transfers power to the State of Texas government following the annexation of Texas by the United States.
• 1847 – The first group of rescuers reaches the Donner Party.
• 1859 – Daniel E. Sickles, a New York Congressman, is acquitted of murder on grounds of temporary insanity. This is the first time this defense is successfully used in the United States.
• 1878 – Thomas Edison patents the phonograph.
• 1953 – Censorship: Georgia approves the first literature censorship board in the United States.
• 1963 – The publication of Betty Friedan‘s The Feminine Mystique reawakens the Feminist Movement in the United States as women’s organizations and consciousness raising groups spread.
Now let’s delve into today’s Headlines Du Jour:
The evolutionary puzzle
Washington State To Automatically Marry All Same-Sex Domestic Partners
GET THE FRACK OUT OF HERE!!!
Scientists mystified as 20 earthquakes hit Oklahoma in one day
THE “O” IN GOP STANDS FOR OLD:
Bobby Jindal Relaunches Himself One More Time
The Cost of Voting Republican: Economy Lost $3 Billion Due to GOP Blocking UI Entension
THE “P” IN GOP STANDS FOR PLUTOCRACY:
Comcast Gave $854,000 to
Overseeing its Merger with Time Warner
Filthy rich but secretly terrified: Inside the 1 percent’s sore-winner backlash
TEABAGGED ENOUGH ALREADY?
The Tea Party Demands that
Mitch McConnell Drop Out Or
Else Alison Grimes Will Win
Voting Against John Boehner Just Became The Tea Party’s Litmus Test
Louisiana governor open to
legalizing medical marijuana
Washington State Legislators
Pass Hemp Nullification Bill
Inside Girl Scout Cookies
Kinky Friedman Agriculture Commissioner campaign rooted in marijuana legalization
KANSAS IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Kansas Bill Would Allow Spanking
Children To Point Of Bruising
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
How Fox News Talks About African-Americans When It’s Not February
Don Lemon Attacked By Fox News Over
His Reaction To Michael Dunn Verdict
Doug Ford says Rob Ford is
being bullied by gay community
Rob Ford not backing down from controversy, says he can see ‘no reason’ to put up Pride flag to support gay rights during Olympics
Rob Ford may have broken
election rules, rival says
VIDEO DU JOUR:
Headlines Du Jour is a leisure-time activity of Not Now Silly, home of the
Steam-Powered Word-0-Matic, and your rest stop on the Information
Highway. Use our valuable bandwidth to post your news comments in
today’s open thread.