Howdy, Headliners. It’s the 183rd day of the year — with just 182 left — which means 2014 is now more than half over. Celebrating a birthday today is Ken Curtis, who played Festus Haggen on Gunsmoke, but was one of The Sons of the Pioneers. Let’s look at some of the Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1504 – Bogdan III the One-Eyed becomes Voivode of Moldavia.
- 1679 – Europeans first visit Minnesota and see headwaters of Mississippi in an expedition led by Daniel Greysolon de Du Luth.
- 1698 – Thomas Savery patents the first steam engine.
- 1776 – The Continental Congress adopts a resolution severing ties with the Kingdom of Great Britain although the wording of the formal Declaration of Independence is not approved until July 4.
- 1777 – Vermont becomes the first American territory to abolish slavery.
- 1822 – 35 African American slaves are hanged in South Carolina, including Denmark Vesey, after being accused of organizing a slave rebellion.
- 1839 – Twenty miles off the coast of Cuba, 53 rebelling African slaves led by Joseph Cinqué take over the slave ship Amistad.
- 1881 – Charles J. Guiteau shoots and fatally wounds U.S. President James Garfield, who eventually dies from an infection on September 19.
- 1890 – The U.S. Congress passes the Sherman Anti-Trust Act.
- 1897 – Italian scientist Guglielmo Marconi obtains a patent for radio in London.
- 1900 – The first Zeppelin flight takes place on Lake Constance near Friedrichshafen, Germany.
- 1937 – Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan are last heard from over the Pacific Ocean while attempting to make the first equatorial round-the-world flight.
- 1962 – The first Wal-Mart store opens for business in Rogers, Arkansas.
- 1964 – U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1964 meant to prohibit segregation in public places.
- 2001 – The AbioCor self-contained artificial heart is first implanted.
- 2002 – Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly solo around the world nonstop in a balloon.
Now here is today’s Headlines Du Jour:
ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF COPS GONE WILD:
TEABAGGED ENOUGH ALREADY?
THE “G” IN GOP STANDS FOR GETOUTTAHERE!
IN LGBT NEWS:
than you’d think. An expert explains its origins
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
FREE THE WEED!!!
NBC IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
JESSE WATTERS IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
“Beyonce Voters” Who “Depend On
Government Because They’re Not
Depending On Their Husbands”