- 1683 – William Penn signs a friendship treaty with Lenni Lenape Indians in Pennsylvania.
- 1713 – The French residents of Acadia are given one year to declare allegiance to Britain or leave Nova Scotia, Canada.
- 1794 – Empress Catherine II of Russia grants Jews permission to settle in Kiev.
- 1868 – Typewriter: Christopher Latham Sholes received a patent for an invention he called the “Type-Writer.”
- 1917 – In a game against the Washington Senators, Boston Red Sox pitcher Ernie Shore retires 26 batters in a row after replacing Babe Ruth, who had been ejected for punching the umpire.
- 1926 – The College Board administers the first SAT exam.
- 1942 – World War II: the first selections for the gas chamber at Auschwitz take place on a train full of Jews from Paris.
- 1960 – The United States Food and Drug Administration declares Enovid to be the first officially approved combined oral contraceptive pill in the world.
- 1969 – Warren E. Burger is sworn in as Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court by retiring Chief Justice Earl Warren.
- 1969 – Software Industry
IBM announced that effective January 1970 it would price its software
and services separately from hardware thus creating the modern software
- 1972 – Watergate Scandal: U.S. President Richard M. Nixon and White House Chief of Staff H. R. Haldeman are taped talking about using the Central Intelligence Agency to obstruct the Federal Bureau of Investigation‘s investigation into the Watergate break-ins.
- 1982 – Chinese American Vincent Chin dies in a coma after being beaten in Highland Park, Michigan on June 19, by two auto workers who had mistaken him for Japanese and who were angry about the success of Japanese auto companies.
- 2013 – Nik Wallenda becomes the first man to successfully walk across the Grand Canyon on a tight rope.
Let’s get to today’s Headlines Du Jour:
IN LGBT NEWS:
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
MORE EXCITING EPISODES OF COPS GONE WILD:
TODAY IN RELIGION:
FREE THE WEED!!!
SO GLAD WE’RE LIVING IN A POST-RACIAL SOCIETY:
Not Now Silly has its own crazy, obsessed, cyber-stalking bullies. Read all about them in:
NBC IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN INNER SPACE:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEOS DU JOUR:
An Adam Faith Playlist: