Howdy, Headliners! Today’s birthday boy is Swing master Benny Goodman, who recorded the best known version of “Memories of You,” my favourite song of all time. But enough about me. Here are the Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1431 – Hundred Years’ War: in Rouen, France, the 19-year-old Joan of Arc is burned at the stake by an English-dominated tribunal. The Roman Catholic Church remembers this day as the celebration of Saint Joan of Arc.
- 1536 – King Henry VIII of England marries Jane Seymour, a lady-in-waiting to his first two wives.
- 1539 – In Florida, Hernando de Soto lands at Tampa Bay with 600 soldiers with the goal of finding gold.
- 1806 – Future U.S. President Andrew Jackson kills Charles Dickinson in a duel after Dickinson had accused Jackson’s wife of bigamy.
- 1868 – Decoration Day (the predecessor of the modern “Memorial Day“) is observed in the United States for the first time (by “Commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic” John A. Logan‘s proclamation on May 5).
- 1911 – At the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, the first Indianapolis 500 ends with Ray Harroun in his Marmon Wasp becoming the first winner of the 500-mile auto race.
- 1922 – The Lincoln Memorial is dedicated in Washington, D.C..
- 1937 – Memorial Day massacre: Chicago police shoot and kill 10 labor demonstrators.
- 1941 – World War II: Manolis Glezos and Apostolos Santas climb the Athenian Acropolis and tear down the Nazi swastika.
- 1958 – Memorial Day: the remains of two unidentified American servicemen, killed in action during World War II and the Korean War respectively, are buried at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery.
- 1966 – Launch of Surveyor 1 the first US spacecraft to land on an extraterrestrial body.
- 1971 – Mariner program: Mariner 9 is launched to map 70% of the surface, and to study temporal changes in the atmosphere and surface, of Mars.
- 2013 – Nigeria passes a law banning same-sex marriage.
Now here are today’s Headlines Du Jour:
IN LGBT NEWS:
SEND ‘EM TO THE WORLD COURT:
FREE THE WEED!!!
GUNS, GUNS, GUNS:
FOX “NEWS” IN THE NEWS AGAIN
LOOFAH LAD IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
Do With Misogyny, White
Privilege And Those Who
Say So Are Liberal Loons!
KKKARL ROVE IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
SEAN HANNITY IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
JESSE WATTERS IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
BOB BECKEL IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN OUTER SPACE:
of gamma-rays in the Andromeda Galaxy, meaning two stars may have collided.