• 1782 – American Revolutionary War: the House of Commons of Great Britain votes against further war in America.
• 1801, Washington, D.C. is placed under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Congress.
• 1812 – Poet Lord Byron gives his first address as a member of the House of Lords, in defense of Luddite violence against Industrialism in his home county of Nottinghamshire.
• 1844 – The Dominican Republic gains independence from Haiti.
• 1864 – American Civil War: The first Northern prisoners arrive at the Confederate prison at Andersonville, Georgia.
• 1900 – The British Labour Party is founded.
• 1933 – Reichstag fire: Germany‘s parliament building in Berlin, the Reichstag, is set on fire.
• 1940 – Martin Kamen and Sam Ruben discover carbon-14
• 1963 – The Dominican Republic receives its first democratically elected president, Juan Bosch, since the end of the dictatorship led by Rafael Trujillo.
Let’s get right to today’s Headlines Du Jour:
A NEW, NEW DEAL?
TODAY IN RELIGION:
HE AIN’T HEAVY. HE’S MY CRAZY ASS BROTHER:
IN CLIMATE CHANGE NEWS:
SEE IT: NASA images
capture desperation of
California recorded its driest year on record in 2013. New images capture bone-dry conditions near Sacramento and along the Sierra Nevada mountains.
THE FALAFEL KING IN THE NEWS AGAIN:
IN OUTER SPACE:
VIDEO DU JOUR: