After a hiatus of a few weeks, Headlines Du Jour is back, babies!!! Today’s birthday belongs to Alexis de Tocqueville, who coined the phrase ‘Merkin ‘Ceptionalism and it wasn’t meant to be a compliment. Here are some other Headlines Du Jour of yesteryear:
- 1565 – The widowed Mary, Queen of Scots, marries Henry Stuart, Lord Darnley, Duke of Albany, at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland.
- 1793 – John Graves Simcoe decides to build a fort and settlement at Toronto, having sailed into the bay there.
- 1836 – Inauguration of the Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France.
- 1899 – The First Hague Convention is signed.
- 1907 – Sir Robert Baden-Powell sets up the Brownsea Island Scout camp in Poole Harbour on the south coast of England. The camp runs from August 1 to August 9, 1907, and is regarded as the foundation of the Scouting movement.
- 1921 – Adolf Hitler becomes leader of the National Socialist German Workers Party.
- 1945 – The BBC Light Programme radio station is launched for mainstream light entertainment and music.
- 1957 – The International Atomic Energy Agency is established.
- 1958 – U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs into law the National Aeronautics and Space Act, which creates the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
- 1959 – First United States Congress elections in Hawaii as a state of the Union.
- 1976 – In New York City, David Berkowitz (aka the “Son of Sam”) kills one person and seriously wounds another in the first of a series of attacks.
- 1981 – A worldwide television audience of over 700 million people watch the wedding of Charles, Prince of Wales, and Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul’s Cathedral in London.
- 1987 – British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and President of France François Mitterrand sign the agreement to build a tunnel under the English Channel (Eurotunnel).
- 1993 – The Supreme Court of Israel acquits alleged Nazi death camp guard John Demjanjuk of all charges and he is set free.
- 2005 – Astronomers announce their discovery of the dwarf planet Eris.
Now here are today’s Headlines Du Jour:
IN LGBT NEWS:
with the same emotions we use for rotting food?
Scientists are starting to figure it out.