NB: Due to a publishing error, all headline links done broke. I don’t have the time to fix it today. So sorry.
- 1093 – The new Winchester Cathedral is dedicated by Walkelin.
- 1730 – Shearith Israel, the first synagogue in New York City, is dedicated.
- 1820 – The Venus de Milo is discovered on the Aegean island of Melos.
- 1904 – Longacre Square in Midtown Manhattan is renamed Times Square after The New York Times.
- 1911 – Dutch physicist Heike Kamerlingh Onnes discovers superconductivity.
- 1913 – The 17th Amendment to the United States Constitution, requiring direct election of Senators, becomes law.
- 1952 – U.S. President Harry Truman calls for the seizure of all domestic steel mills to prevent a nationwide strike.
- 1959 – A team of computer manufacturers, users, and university people led by Grace Hopper meets to discuss the creation of a new programming language that would be called COBOL.
- 1974 – At Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, Hank Aaron hits his 715th career home run to surpass Babe Ruth‘s 39-year-old record.
- 1975 – Frank Robinson manages the Cleveland Indians in his first game as major league baseball‘s first African American manager.
- 1992 – Retired tennis great Arthur Ashe announces that he has AIDS, acquired from blood transfusions during one of his two heart surgeries.
- 2005 – Over four million people attend the funeral of Pope John Paul II.
Today’s Headlines Du Jour is a big’un — larger than normal — so let’s get right to it:
Pulled Over for Driving
While Black and Brown
. . . and LGBTQ?
The Mozilla fiasco was about far more than “gay marriage”
According to MSNBC, Jeb Bush
Is Now the GOP’s Only Hope
John Boehner Claims That He
Is Killing Obamacare By Giving Obama Everything He Wants
This GOP House Candidate
Is Running for Office So
His Daughter Won’t Have
to Learn About Evolution
Wisconsin GOP candidate proposes doing away
with weekends, dismisses MLK Day, Kwanzaa
Republican Mississippi Governor
Signs Unconstitutional Law That
Voids The 14th Amendment
Local Republican Caucus Passes Resolution Allowing Wisconsin To Secede
Republican Poll Has Bad News For GOP as Mary
Landrieu Leads All Challengers In Louisiana
The GOP Is at War With Itself. So Why
Are Republicans Poised to Win in 2014?
We must discriminate against
gays lest someone think
we’re gay and bash us
TEABAGGED ENOUGH ALREADY:
WATCH: Rand Paul Says Dick Cheney Pushed for the Iraq War
So Halliburton Would Profit
Chuck Schumer Defends
Attacks On The Koch Brothers:
‘I Don’t Feel Sorry For Them’
Will Voters Know Who’s Funding Who by Election Time?
Martin O’Malley Expected To Sign Marijuana Decriminalization Bill
IN INCOME INEQUALITY:
In Book’s Trial Of U.S. Justice
System, Wealth Gap Is Exhibit A
A Chronic Sickness Inside
the US Labor Market
GEORGE W. BUSH WATCH:
Bush crew’s deplorable return:
How their reemergence
sends a deadly message
Right-Wing Journalist Writes a Laughably Bad Article Justifying Climate Change Denial
HISTORY IS COMPLICATED:
The Lost Canals of
Venice of America
NATURE IS COMPLICATED:
Coconut Crabs Eat Everything from Kittens to, Maybe, Amelia Earhart
CHRIS CHRISTIE CORNER:
Exclusive: Christie Prosecutor Gets Its Star Witness to Start Talking
‘Belligerent’ Rob Ford
warned by security at
Air Canada Centre
A “belligerent” Mayor Rob Ford received a warning from Air Canada Centre security staff at the Toronto Maple Leafs game on Saturday night.
Rob Ford, still setting the
bar as low as it will go
Rob Ford ‘Crackathon’ video game lights up the web
BACK TO THE FUTURE:
Figuring out the future: Will we be ready to live in
a world where machines are smarter than people?
NEW STUDY: 72 Percent
of Fox News Climate
Segments Are Misleading
Fox Doesn’t Get Why
Breaking Bad Star Supports
Health Care Reform
Fox News floats trial balloon that Mitt
Romney might make third run for president
On Eve Of Equal Pay Day, Fox Host Denies Existence Of Gender Pay Gap
Revolving Door: Fox News Hires Back Ex-Candidate Liz Cheney
From “Hip-Hop BBQ” To “Horseman Of Apocalypse”:
5 Years Of Fox Nation
IN INNER SPACE:
Non-Conformity & Creativity Now Listed
As A Mental Illness By Psychiatrists
I cracked the code at the Western University library
Solving the mystery of the Weldon Library letters, a tale of
weird obsession, intrigue and a lesson in the bonds of humanity
‘Star Trek’ actress lends her gravitas to film promoting idea that sun revolves around Earth
BOB MARLEY REMEMBERED:
Local Park Honors Bob
Marley With Name Change
From the vase Not Now Silly Archives:
The Day I Met Bob Marley
VIDEO DU JOUR: