- 1461 – Wars of the Roses: Battle of Towton – Edward of York defeats Queen Margaret to become King Edward IV of England.
- 1638 – Swedish colonists establish the first European settlement in Delaware, naming it New Sweden.
- 1806 – Construction is authorized of the Great National Pike, better known as the Cumberland Road, becoming the first United States federal highway.
- 1867 – Queen Victoria gives Royal Assent to the British North America Act which establishes the Dominion of Canada on July 1.
- 1871 – The Royal Albert Hall is opened by Queen Victoria.
- 1886 – Dr. John Pemberton brews the first batch of Coca-Cola in a backyard in Atlanta.
- 1936 – In Germany, Adolf Hitler receives 99% of the votes in a referendum to ratify Germany’s illegal reoccupation of the Rhineland, receiving 44.5 million votes out of 45.5 million registered voters.
- 1951 – Ethel and Julius Rosenberg are convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage.
- 1961 – The Twenty-third Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified, allowing residents of Washington, D.C., to vote in presidential elections.
- 1971 – My Lai Massacre: Lieutenant William Calley is convicted of premeditated murder and sentenced to life in prison.
- 1971 – A Los Angeles jury recommends the death penalty for Charles Manson and three female followers.
- 1973 – Vietnam War: The last United States combat soldiers leave South Vietnam.
- 1974 – NASA‘s Mariner 10 becomes the first space probe to fly by Mercury.
- 1982 – The Canada Act 1982 receives the Royal Assent from Queen Elizabeth II, setting the stage for the Queen of Canada to proclaim the Constitution Act, 1982.
- 1993 – Catherine Callbeck becomes premier of Prince Edward Island and the first woman to be elected in a general election as premier of a Canadian province.
- 1999 – The Dow Jones Industrial Average closes above the 10,000 mark (10,006.78) for the first time, during the height of the dot-com bubble.
- 2004 – The Republic of Ireland becomes the first country in the world to ban smoking in all work places, including bars and restaurants.
- 2014 – The first same-sex marriages in England and Wales are performed.
Today’s yesteryear segment was larger than usual, as is today’s Headlines Du Jour. So, let’s get to it…finally:
INDIANA LGBT NEWS:
being called racist: the theory of white fragility
BONUS VIDEO DU JOUR:
MORE OF THAT REPUBLICAN OUTREACH:
Women Are Attacked Because God Is
Punishing America For Legal Abortion
Spokesperson A “Self-Righteous Bitch,” “LabiaFace”
Lifestyle Collection for Fans of Beefy,
Cheesy Everything Wallpaper,
bed sheets, clothes and more